Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Last Lap.

(Photo Caption: From back left: Stef, Lyndsey, Naomi, Mai, Carolin, Grace Shin, and I waiting to go to the top of the Tokyo Tower)

Last Thursday, we spent our last time with two friends, Naomi and Mai, who are from International Christian University. Although this university is Christian by name, they are no longer a Christian university. Yet, both Naomi and Mai have been coming to church with us and are very interested in learning more about Christianity. We went to Tokyo Tower and saw the beautiful skyline of Japan.

The song by Chris Tomlin, "God of the City" came to mind as I looked over the city. Josh put this song on repeat during one of our prayer times, so it was pretty fresh in my mind.

These are the lyrics:

You're the God of this city
You're the King of these people
You're the Lord of this nation
You Are

For there is no one like our God
There is no one like our God
Greater things have yet to come
Great things are still to be done
In this City

You're the Lord of Creation
The Creator of all things
You're the King above all Kings
You AreYou're the strength in our weakness
You're the love to the broken
You're the joy in the sadness
You Are

Where glory shines from hearts alive
With praise for you and love for you
In this city

Greater things have yet to come
Great things are still to be done
In this city
Greater things are still to come
And greater things are still to be done here.

Please continue to pray for breakthrough in Tokyo. Please pray for Naomi and Mai as God would open up their hearts to the Gospel as they learn more about what it means to have a genuine relationship with God. Please also continue to pray for strength for our team to finish strong and to be united.

I can't believe that it's already the last week of project. It went by way too fast! We are going to Disney Sea tomorrow, having our last couple of days on campus, then heading to Mt. Fuji on Thursday for debriefing. I've had an amazing time in Japan, and as I was reflecting about the trip, I realized that the biggest thing I've learned on project is learning how to be comfortable with who God made me to be and my identity in Him - using my God-given gifts and abilities for His glory and for building up the body; and knowing and admitting my areas of weakness. I've been surprisingly comfortable here around my team, exposing my weird and crazy self, yet they still love me and are still blessed by me. I think, "Wow, this must be God's grace because I feel like I'm so foolish and strange at times, so I know it's not anything I do." I've been thinking about Joshua 1:9 for awhile, and I guess this is what it means to be strong and courageous because God is with me. I don't feel like I have to put on this "super spiritual" front like before, but can act like my normal self. I'm learning that this is what it means to do ministry out of an overflow of love and out of a confidence in my identity in Christ, instead of doing ministry for appearance' sake - like a self-righteous Pharisee, which is what I'm sometimes inclined to do. I've realized that alot of my natural tendency is to be legalistic and have a performanced-based relationship with God, thinking that if I do more for Him, He'll love me more. I think I've experienced alot of His grace through my team, which has definitely deepened my understanding that my relationship with Him is solely by grace, and nothing of my own doing.
I've been so encouraged by my team and their faith and boldness for Christ. It's been so awesome spending these past few weeks with them, I feel like I'm going to have really bad summer project withdrawal when I get home. haha.
Although today, we went to a church that reminded me of my church, and I started really missing home.

Please also continue to pray that God would teach me what true humility, authenticity, and grace is.

Thanks so much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Grace!

Hope and pray you feel better.

Hope to see you soon.
We'll be picking you up at LAX on Sunday 7/27/08 at 10:20am.

Praise the Lord for taking care of you and your team.

I just learned how to leave a comment.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Grace!

Hope to see you soon!

sundaes said...

I just heard that song for the first time yesterday!