Saturday, March 12, 2011

After Watching 127 Hours.



I just came home from watching 127 Hours at the dollar theater with my roommate, Maling. I really liked it amidst the gruesome parts- not just for the picturesque landscapes, amazing cinematography and soundtrack, and my fellow Bruin Class of 2008 grad, James Franco, but also for the story of human resiliency. It's quite amazing to see what determination, endurance, and strength Aron Ralston displays in order to survive being stuck in a canyon for 127 hours. Gives so much hope.

I think I've become more fascinated with movies without very much dialogue such as 127 hours, Wall-E, or Cast Away, and how these movies can captivate the audience's attention and emotions even without many words. It's ironic that I want to be a writer, and yet I'm learning more about the value of wordlessness. Images and music have been so powerful for me recently, especially in my prayer times with the Lord. There are times when I'm so tired, I don't really have words, or there are just no words that can express the things in my heart. Sometimes songs or pictures come to mind which have been helpful in expression. I guess that's why there's the cliche saying that "A Picture is worth a 1000 words." and as Victor Hugo said,“Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”

I'm looking forward to seeing Explosions in the Sky in concert with my brother because they are an amazing instrumental band.

No comments: