Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rainy Days are for Wearing Argyle Sweaters and Boots.



(Photo by Amber S. Wallace, NC from www.sxc.hu)

Today, I enjoyed the rain. I don't always like the rain, but I think because I was prepared for the elements after buying a new pair of stylish water-resistant boots, a warm argyle sweater, and a black-and-white floral umbrella yesterday from Target, I enjoyed the rain today.

Yesterday, I realized that my sneakers do not keep my feet dry in the rain - and I absolutely hate the feeling of walking around in wet socks all day. I remember one day when we were walking around in Jerusalem and it rained - and I was wearing a pair of 5-year-old brown-and-white sneakers with holes in them. My socks got wet early in the morning when I stepped in a puddle and I had to walk around all day with wet socks. I remember finally coming back to our hotel, and we had a couple of hours to chill and wander before dinner. I was exhausted and ready to take a nap. Lauren and I were chilling in our room - and then James, Eufemio, and Jo came to convince us to go walk around Old Jerusalem with them. I was so tired, but then I put on dry socks - and BOOM! - it was like drinking a Red Bull - I was energized and in such better spirits. (Perhaps I should title this post "Dry Socks Gives Me Wings." haha) That was the day we spent an hour in a t-shirt shop and bought our "Shalom Y'all" shirts. I think that night of hanging out with the Shalom Y'all crew was one of my favorite times in Israel. I'm glad I put on those dry socks. It's funny how a change in something so small can influence so much.


(Photo by Eufemio Magsombol from eufemio.zenfolio.com)

So I guess this is something God is teaching me...change doesn't happen overnight, but in steps, even if they are baby steps (haha, now I'm thinking about the movie "What About Bob?")...and that He is holding my hand each step of the way....even in the places where I have to face my fears and my tears. God is good, gentle, and patient with me, even when I am impatient with myself. I am thankful for this.

I am currently reading "The Good and Beautiful God: Falling In Love with the God Jesus Knows" by James Bryan Smith for my Theology class. It is a great book - I highly recommend it. It focuses on how Jesus views God and then has Spiritual Formation Exercises so that the knowledge of who God is doesn't just become head knowledge, but will truly sink deep into the soul. I just read the chapter on how "God is Trustworthy" and the spiritual formation exercise is to count our blessings and praise God for the good gifts He provides....to help us see that He is good and trustworthy. This is something that my Spiritual Director encouraged me to do last semester, but I never really did it...but now as I realize how much I need to internalize this truth, I think this is something I need to start doing more often:

So today's blessings are:
~rain
~boots
~celebrating wearing boots and our femininity with my roommates and the A.S. ladies.
~argyle sweaters
~umbrellas
~being refreshed by worshiping God through music and being reminded that Jesus is risen with other students at chapel
~enjoying food and fellowship with other Talbot students at donut chapel
~Krispy Kreme donuts
~Panera bagels
~Albertson's fried chicken and potato wedges
~A.S. staff meeting - I really love our A.S. team!
~hanging out and having a sleepy day in the A.S. office
~walking around the neighborhood of my apartment and splashing in puddles at the park and having dry socks through it all!
~seeing birds flying in the trees even in the rain
~Wonton soup perfect for cold weather
~free music downloads from Come and Live! - Currently listening to "Lesser Men " by Abel
~blogging and enjoying the quiet, solitude, and reflection in my apartment

There are many things to be thankful for.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love this post, and I love the list of things you love. :)