Thursday, January 21, 2010

Landslides Don't Wait for Anyone.

It's weird to think that just last week, I was in Israel, and now I'm sitting in my brother's apartment, because I had to evacuate my house due to the potential threat of landslides. This has been the second evacuation I've had to undergo within a year - first with fires, now with landslides. It just makes me realize that there's no permanency in my earthly home. It's interesting because the night before they called me to evacuate I was worrying about the grade that I got in my Israel class - since I know I didn't do very well. Then there's this evacuation - reminding me there are bigger things to be worried about...

It's been a crazy week - being sick with the stomach flu, and then having to evacuate - what a crazy time of testing for me. I know God is refining me through this, but I can't deny the fear I feel. I already have a tendency to worry even without sickness or natural disaster looming over me, but with these things, my worry is intensified - and in these moments, the only thing I can do is cry out to God. I watched the first two Lord of the Rings movies to get my mind off of things - but I know I inevitably have to face these fears that I carry, especially during the times when I wake up in the middle of the night due to jet-lag.

Lauren gave me a mixtape of songs called "Sangalang's Singalong," which is amazing and I've been constantly listening to it. One of the reasons why we got along so well roomming together - she has a fabulous taste in music, movies, and clothing. There's one song in particular which I really like by Sufjan Stevens called, "Oh God, Where Are You Now?" and I can identify with right now...I was listening to it when I was passed out on my bed in Israel, especially the first day I was sick. You can watch it on You Tube - there are cool images that go along with the music...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqbAy_QVc8k

Here are the lyrics:

Oh God, hold me now.
Oh Lord, hold me now.
There's no other man who could raise the dead
So do what you can to anoint my head

Oh God, where are you now?
Oh Lord, say somehow
The devil is hard on my face again
The world is a hundred to one again

Would the righteous still remain?
Would my body stay the same?

Oh God, hold me now.
Oh God, touch me now.
There's no other man who could save the dead.
There's no other God to place our head.

Would the righteous still remain?
Would my body stay the same?

There's no other man who could raise the dead.
So do what you can to anoint my head.

Oh God, hold me now.
Oh Lord, touch me now.

I like this song because it makes me think of Habakkuk. I like Habakkuk.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you feel connected to God through this song; it's one that has resonated with me a lot in the past. Praying you feel God's closeness, provision and care of you in this time, Grace. It was awesome rooming with you in Israel. Also praying for protection of your house, and continued healing in your body as your rest in and with Him.