Sunday, December 28, 2008

Rediscovering the Joy of Reading, especially Jane Austen

"Because they neither flattered herself nor her children, she could not believe them good-natured; and because they were fond of reading, she fancied them satirical: perhaps without exactly knowing what it was to be satirical; but that did not signify."
~Sense and Sensibility, Vol. 2, Chapter XIV, pg. 201.

This satirical self-consciousness is one of the reasons why I have had such an enjoyable time reading Sense and Sensibility. Although I had read Pride and Prejudice in high school, I don't think I understood Austen's wit and satire, which now makes me laugh out loud, making my family give me strange stares. I think I'm also drawn to her protagonists, who I, along with so many others, feel like we can relate to.

It now makes sense why so many people love her. I think Jane Austen brings the world together. haha.

I also like how Austen upholds virtue, while making a mockery of pride, foolishness, emotionalism, and impropriety.
It's quite refreshing reading well-written satirical fiction. And she "keeps it real" without having to indulge in crude sensuality. It's all good, clean fun.

An article on Crosswalk talks about how Austen's sense of right and wrong which stemmed from her faith is what draws many people in.
http://www.crosswalk.com/books/11552212/
The fact that people are drawn to her writing, I believe, shows how people innately have a higher sense of morality, attributing to a higher moral order.

After not having read a work of fiction for a semester since I graduated, and after not having read a work of fiction for fun since I don't even remember, it's quite exciting being able to enjoy fiction again and being able to choose what I want to read, instead of forcing myself to analyze a piece of literature for a class.

Oh, Reading! How I've missed you! It's like seeing a long-lost friend again. :)

(These last two posts have shown the extent of my English-major nerdiness...haha)

No comments: