Friday, December 19, 2008

Compound Gerunds...How Many Can I Use in One Entry?

i am such an english nerd. haha.

GERUND PHRASE
Gerunds, verbals that end in -ing and that act as nouns, frequently are associated with modifiers and complements in a gerund phrase. These phrases function as units and can do anything that a noun can do. Notice that other phrases, especially prepositional phrases, are frequently part of the gerund phrase.
Cramming for tests is not a good study strategy. [gerund phrase as subject]
John enjoyed swimming in the lake after dark. [gerund phrase as object]
I'm really not interested in studying biochemistry for the rest of my life. [gerund phrase as object of the preposition in ]

(http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/phrases.htm#participle)

How do I describe my first semester at seminary? It's definitely been:

life-challenging
mind-stretching
heart-wrenching
soul-searching
God-wrestling
love-filling
Spirit-experiencing
ministry-giving
grace-receiving
community-building
direction-changing
fear-facing
music-making
spontaneous-singing
joy-fulfilling
vision-adjusting
Truth-learning
Gospel-centering
season-grieving
present-embracing
future-surrendering
motivation-processing.
Christ-praising.

The more I learn about God, the more I realize how much I don't understand, and how His grace is truly sufficient in my weakness.

No comments: