Sunday, September 1, 2013

Endings and Beginnings.

I start my first ever full-time job this week. I guess I'm growing up.

After 21 years being a student (with 8 years of higher education), it feels strange to not be in school anymore. While I'm still working on a college campus and still feel the excitement of the start of a new school year, it is a foreign feeling not having to go to class. Being a student has been part of my identity for such a long time, that it's quite a transition not having the comfort of being in a classroom. I think about how I can continue to learn, grow, and study on my own - and actually now have the freedom to read what I want. It's a pretty exciting thing.

It's also strange not being on Talbot A.S., and having all of those responsibilities, after being on it for the past 3 years. I'm thankful for the rest of not being on the team anymore, and now have the energy to pursue my own social activities (like going to 10 concerts this summer), but I do miss it. That team provided such great community for me, and I learned so much through it. This awkward, introverted, shy girl blossomed into a more sociable person through the love and support of that team. I actually like being with people now.

It was my last week working in Graduate Admissions last week after two years of working part-time there, and I am so thankful for the people in that department who have encouraged me in such amazing ways. They believed and empowered me, especially during a time where I really doubted myself and my own capabilities. As we joke and call the communal cubicle space that I worked in, the "communal nest," as cliche as it sounds,  I felt like I was this baby bird with a broken wing when I started working there, and that place was a place of healing and growth for me. I will greatly miss working in that department. 

As I think about where God has me in the present, I look at how it's so unexpected. I never thought I would be at Biola this long, let alone be working in the Purchasing department. It's mysterious the way my journey has unfolded, and I see how God's been so gracious in leading me just one step at a time. While I've always had these grand visions and long-term plans for myself, God's always just shows me the next step. Sometimes I get frustrated not knowing the future, but I do see how it is God's grace to me in just showing me one step, because I know I would be overwhelmed if I saw His whole plan. And I guess this is where the beauty of surrender lies. I'm still learning what it means to be open-handed in this process.

I do have a desire to write a part 2 of my thesis one day to focus on the healing part of shame (hopefully as a doctoral dissertation or maybe a book), but I don't really know how that's going to pan out, so I'll hold it as open-handed as I can, and just take it one step at a time.

(Photo Copyright All rights reserved by alec's)

7 comments:

David Costillo said...

All the best to you, Grace, in your new endeavor!

Josh Carroll said...

Way to go! Praying for you on this next step in your life! Love you little sister!
Josh

david bartosik said...

Love it Grace! Glad I bumped into you and your fam at disney the other day and loved reading about your thoughts on the next step of the journey! Good luck :)

~grace sangalang said...

Thanks, Josh! :)

~grace sangalang said...

Thanks, David! It was so fun seeing you at Disneyland! It's been so long since I've last seen you! And I still remember taking that 706 class with you my first semester at Talbot!

~grace sangalang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~grace sangalang said...

Thanks, David Costillo!