Friday, April 18, 2008

Spontaneous Poetry

I haven't written poetry in awhile - I think since freshman year. Maybe I should start again. I think reading T.S. Eliot and William Faulkner inspired me...plus the Acting on Aids event made me think...and I've been thinking about Philippines again...

Here it goes:

It bothers me to see the streets
filled with children who have no food to eat
And their bones protrude from their skin:
The outline of a skeleton.
"Ma'am, ma'am"
with opened hand,
requesting just a dime.
I don't have time.
In their eyes a fire burns
To survive
To try
To see
the next day alive.
I watch it from this balcony
Where I can't touch them
Or feed them
Or clothe them
Or hug them.
A gap -
It grows and I don't know how to stop it.
I don't know.
I don't know.
I don't know
what to do.

No comments: